(Ph.D BGU 99, PostDoc MIT 98-99)
Professor (SPIE Fellow)
Director of the Satellite and Wireless Communication Laboratory,
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P.O Box 653 IL-84105 Beer-Sheva ISRAEL
Shlomi Arnon is a Professor at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Ben-Gurion University (BGU), Israel. Professor Arnon's honors and awards include SPIE Fellow and Fulbright Fellow. During 1998-1999 Professor Arnon was a Postdoctoral Associate (Fulbright Fellow) at LIDS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, USA. His research has produced more than seventy journal papers in the area of optical, satellite and wireless communication. During part of the summer of 2007, he worked at TU/e and PHILIPS LAB, Eindhoven, Nederland on a novel concept of a dual communication and illumination system. He was visiting professor during the summer of 2008 at TU Delft, Nederland. During the year 2011-2012 he took sabbatical leave at the Silicon nano photonic Lab, Cornell University, USA He was an associate editor for the Optical Society of America - Journal of Optical Networks, and the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications for a special issue on optical wireless communication in 2006 and 2009 respectively. He is co-author of the book and “Applied Aspects of Optical Communication and LIDAR", Taylor & Francis/ CRC, 2010 and a co-editor of book an Advanced Optical Wireless Communication Systems, Cambridge University Press, 2012. In addition to research, Prof Arnon and his students work on many challenging engineering projects with especial emphasis on the humanitarian dimension. For instance, a long-standing project has dealt with developing a system to detect human survival after earthquakes, or Infant respiration monitoring system to prevent cardiac arrest and Apnea.
-In Journals (.pdf file)
Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
This paper was published in [Journal Name] and is made available as an electronic reprint with the permission of OSA. The paper can be found at the following URL on the OSA website: [article URL]. Systematic or multiple reproduction or distribution to multiple locations via electronic or other means is prohibited and is subject to penalties under law.
Copyright notice format: Copyright XXXX (year) Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers. One print or electronic copy may be made for personal use only. Systematic reproduction and distribution, duplication of any material in this paper for a fee or for commercial purposes, or modification of the content of the paper are prohibited.
72 Etai Rosenkrantz and Shlomi Arnon, “Method for tuning light extinction by thermal expansion of coated nanoparticles ,“ Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 29, No. 9, pp. 2542-2547, (October 2012).
Ronen Rachmani, Arkadi Zilberman and Shlomi Arnon, “Computer backplane with free space optical links: air turbulence effects“ IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 156-162, (January 2012).
66 M.F. Urso, S. Arnon , M. Mondin, E. Falletti, F. Sellone, “A Distributed and collaborative beamforming algorithm for a self-organizing wireless sensor network,” Physical Communication, Vol. 4, No. 3, Pages 172-181, (September 2011).
64 Nestor D. Chatzidiamantis, Athanasios S. Lioumpas, George K. Karagiannidis, and Shlomi Arnon, "Adaptive Subcarrier PSK Intensity Modulation in Free Space Optical Systems, " IEEE Transactions on Communication, Vol. 59, No 5, pp. 1368 - 1377,(May 2010)
62. S. Arnon, "Maximization of imaging resolution in optical wireless sensor/lab-on-chip/SoC networks with solar cells," Journal of the Optical Society of America A,, Vol. 27, No. 9, pp.2021-2026, (September 2010)
58. S. Arnon, and D. Kedar, "Sensing and communication trade-offs in picosatellite formation flying missions," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 2128-2133, (October 2009). http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?URI=josaa-26-10-2128
57. S. Arnon, "Minimization of outage probability of WiMAX link supported by laser link between a high-altitude platform and a satellite," Journal of the Optical Society of America A,Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 1545-1552, (July 2009).
S. Arnon, and D.
Kedar, "Non-line-of-sight underwater optical wireless communication
network," Journal of the Optical Society of America A,
Vol. 26, No.
3, pp. 530-539, (March 2009).
55. D. Kedard, D. Grace and S. Arnon, "Laser Nonlinearity Effects on Hybrid Millimeter-wave/Optical Broadband Backhaul Communication Links for a Multiple High Altitude Platform Architecture," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electronics System Vol.. 46, No. 4, pp. 1797-1803, (October 2010)
52. S. Arnon, S. Dolev, R Kat, D Kedar, "Searching for a lion in the desert: optics-based acquisition algorithms for wireless sensor networks," ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review, Vol. 12 , No. 4, pp. 32-42 (October 2008)
49. M. Gubergrits, R. Goot, U. Mahlab and S. Arnon, "Adaptive power control for satellite to ground laser communication," International Journal of Satellite Communication and Networking, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 323-348, (July/August 2007).
48 Shlomi Arnon, David M. Britz, Anthony C. Boucouvalas, and Mohsen Kavehrad ,"Optical wireless communications: introduction to the feature issue," Journal of Optical Networking pp. 79-81 published 01/11/2006
Call for paper –Associate Editor -
IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2008 - Special issue on optical wireless communication – Closed